Monday, June 7, 2010


This map represents vulnerable land to oil spills. The layers include sensitive coastal types, land ownership, booming operations, and socioeconomic points. The graph of sensitive coastal types represents the habitats in varying colors from the least sensitive green to the most sensitive red salt estuaries. Land ownership shows who is responsible for the management and the health of the different land types. The federal government is responsible for 4671 acres and the state government is responsible for 738 acres. Booming operations are protective measures to save land from oil spills by building barricades from the oil. There were 13,903 ft of booming in my study area. The socioeconomic points show where human access points into the water are which could be future causes of its spread. It also shows the location of an airport which could be used in the clean up efforts.




This map shows the location and lists the species vulnerable to oil spills in the Holley quad area. Oil destroys animals and their habitats causing massive death and destruction. This information will help volunteers identify and locate the animals in critical need. I added the sensitive coastal land layer also because where there is sensitive land there are going to be sensitive organisms in need of help.


I had a horrible time completing this lab anything that could go wrong did. I must of spent at least 20 hours on this lab. My job requires me to camp in remote areas four days a week so my time is limited. This is the best I could do with the time I had.

No comments:

Post a Comment